Nigeria is witnessing significant growth in its pharmaceutical industry as the sector is driven by a combination of factors, including population growth, increased healthcare awareness, expanding urbanization, and a rising burden of diseases.
As a result, several pharmaceutical companies in Abuja have established their presence in the Nigerian market to cater to the growing healthcare needs of the population.
Pharmaceutical companies in Abuja contribute to the healthcare sector through a combination of research and development, the production of innovative medications, and commitment to healthcare access and quality.
These pharmaceutical companies also go beyond products, actively engaging in initiatives that foster healthcare education, awareness, and partnership. In this article, we will delve into some of the prominent pharmaceutical companies in Abuja.
Table of Contents
How To Register A Pharmaceutical Company in Nigeria
The procedure for the incorporation of a pharmaceutical company in Nigeria has been simplified with the emergence of the Companies and Allied Matters Act, 2020, and the ever-efficient Pharmacy Council of Nigeria. This has gone a long way in encouraging everyone, irrespective of their field of specialization, to own a pharmaceutical company and invest in the pharmaceutical industry.
The Pharmacy Council of Nigeria is the apex regulatory body for all pharmaceutical companies in Nigeria. The body has the responsibility of registering and licensing all pharmacists, and pharmaceutical premises (manufacture, importation, distribution, wholesale, retail, hospital, pharmacies, etc.) as well as the issuance of permits to pharmacy technicians and, finally, the registration and licensure of patent and proprietary medicine vendors.
The Pharmacist Council of Nigeria Decree 1992 is the primary legislation that governs activities affiliated with pharmaceutical companies.
The procedure for registering a pharmaceutical company majorly depends on the category of the pharmaceutical company the individual seeks to incorporate. This is because each category attracts certain peculiar requirements.
Notwithstanding, some procedures have general applications irrespective of the category of the pharmaceutical company that is being registered.
These procedures include:
- Incorporation with the Corporate Affairs Commission either as a private limited company or a public limited company. Due to the ease of incorporation and low capital requirement, a private company limited by shares is always recommended. Documents to be submitted to the Corporate Affairs Commission include:
Availability of Name
- Application for Registration of Company
- Identification documents of the directors
- Memorandum and Articles of Association
- Payment of Registration fees and Stamp Duties
- Residence Permit (where any of the subscribers is a foreigner)
- Birth certificate (where any of the subscribers is a minor)
- Board resolution and certificate of incorporation (where any of the subscribers is a corporate body)
- Proficiency Certificate and Current Practicing License of the pharmacist who is to be a director in the company
For the registration of new pharmaceutical premises, the application is to be submitted to the Registrar of the Council, through the Director of Pharmaceutical Services of the State where the premises is to be operated.
The following documents are to be submitted:
- An application letter (in the company’s letter paper) to register premises;
- A duly completed Form B (PCN’s Application Form for the Registration of Premises);
- A photocopy of the Annual License to practice or an application for the retention of name on the Pharmaceutical Register (Form J);
- The prescribed inspection and registration fees, in bank draft, payable to the Council;
- A photocopy of the letter of resignation from previous employment (if applicable);
- The Letter of Acceptance of Resignation (if applicable);
- The Letter of Appointment in the new premises (where applicable);
- The Legal Agreement between the Superintendent Pharmacist and his employer (where applicable);
- The Company’s Certificate of Incorporation (Evidence of registration of business name is acceptable in respect of Pharmacist-owned retail premises);
- Certified copy of the company’s Articles and Memorandum of Association;
- Certified copy of Particulars of the company’s Directors as issued by the Corporate Affairs Commission (CAC);
- A photocopy of the NYSC Discharge or Exemption Certificate (where applicable);
- A Letter of Undertaking by the Superintendent Pharmacist to the effect that he has only one pharmaceutical job;
- A Letter of Undertaking by the Managing Director of the company to the effect that all pharmaceutical businesses would be under the direct, personal, control and management of the Superintendent of the Pharmacist;
- A Pharmacists Inter-State Movement Form (where applicable), duly completed;
- Evidence of a Pharmacist on the Board of Directors; and
- The Current Annual License of the Pharmacist Director.
- Application to the Pharmacy Council of Nigeria to the inspection of the premise to ensure compliance with all regulations as provided for by the Pharmacy Council of Nigeria as it relates to location, proximity to other pharmacies, size, height, storage room, and other necessities of the premise of the pharmaceutical company.
List of the Best Pharmaceutical Companies In Abuja
Here is the list of the best pharmaceutical companies in Abuja
1. Cadbury Pharmaceuticals Ltd.
Cadbury Pharmaceuticals Ltd. is one of the best pharmaceutical companies in Abuja and a key player in the Nigerian pharmaceutical industry. It is a subsidiary of Cadbury Nigeria Plc and has a focus on manufacturing high-quality generic medications.
Some of their products include antibiotics, analgesics, and other essential drugs. As one of the leading pharmaceutical companies in Abuja, Cadbury Pharmaceuticals pivotal role in improving healthcare outcomes in Nigeria.
2. Reckitt Benckiser (Nigeria) Ltd.
Reckitt Benckiser (Nigeria) Ltd is a subsidiary of Reckitt Benckiser and actively functions in the pharmaceutical sector. It is one of the best pharmaceutical companies in Abuja and it manufactures a variety of over-the-counter medications and healthcare products addressing diverse health needs.
Reckitt Benckiser manufactures a variety of products ranging from cold and flu remedies to pain relievers, (Nigeria) Ltd. The company plays a vital role in promoting the well-being of Nigerians by providing convenient solutions for everyday health issues.
3. Fidson Healthcare Plc.
Fidson Healthcare Plc. is among the best pharmaceutical companies in Abuja. They aim to address the evolving healthcare needs of Nigerians through their emphasis on research and development which ensures a continuous supply of innovative healthcare solutions.
The company has several products ranging from antibiotics, antimalarials, and antihypertensives. Fidson Healthcare Plc is committed to producing high-quality, affordable medications.
4. Johnson & Johnson (Nigeria) Ltd.
Johnson & Johnson has a diverse portfolio encompassing pharmaceuticals, medical devices, and consumer healthcare products. It is a global healthcare conglomerate and operates in Nigeria through Johnson & Johnson (Nigeria) Ltd. The company is ranked among the best pharmaceutical companies in Abuja.
Johnson & Johnson provides advanced medical solutions and has contributed to elevating the standard of healthcare in Nigeria. The company is known for its commitment to innovation, which has resulted in the development of groundbreaking treatments for diseases ranging from cancer to infectious conditions.
5. Stallion Pharmaceuticals Ltd.
Stallion Pharmaceuticals Ltd. focuses on producing high-quality generic medications. Its commitment to quality and affordability has made it rank among the best pharmaceutical companies in Abuja.
The company addresses prevalent health concerns with its products and contributes to improving healthcare outcomes and accessibility in the country.
Stallion Pharmaceuticals Ltd’s product range covers a spectrum of therapeutic areas, including antibiotics, antimalarials, and analgesics.
6. Zenith Pharmaceutical & Company Ltd.
Zenith Pharmaceutical & Company Ltd is one of the leading pharmaceutical companies in Abuja, Nigeria. The company works in Medical Equipment, Hospital Pharmaceuticals, and Industrial Services business activities.
Zenith Pharmaceutical & Company Ltd is located at Patsy Plaza, Plot 509, Ebitu Ukiwe Street, Jabi, FCT, Abuja, Nigeria. Phone number: 08033100051 or 07034717466.
7. PharmGate LTD
PharmGate has its headquarters in Abuja with branches across Nigeria. It is licensed by the Pharmacy Society of Nigeria and is an over-the-counter (OTC) pharmacy.
They have ranked among the best pharmaceutical companies in Abuja and even Africa. They rarely have foreign medications with their professional pharmacists who work closely with the manufacturers to offer personalized services.
PharmaGate has different functionalities that help to improve health, and well-being at every stage and this includes the expertise and an inventory that is enabled by AI technology.
PharmGate is located at plot 44 Gana Street Abuja, Abuja.
8. GlaxoSmithKline (GSK) Nigeria
GlaxoSmithKline (GSK) is one of the popularly known pharmaceutical companies in Abuja and has a broad spectrum in their global business that works on multiple angles such as research, and development, manufacturing, and working on innovative medicines, vaccines, and other health facilities.
GSK is on a mission to lead a global healthcare company that serves the purpose of prolonging human life, so they feel better and live longer.
The company interacts with retailers, buyers, and sellers, with high-quality products at the right time and place.
Emzor was established in 1977 with a mission of providing healthcare products, along with maintaining high quality. It is one of the leading pharmaceutical companies in Abuja.
Emzor is responsible for manufacturing 140 pharmaceutical products, including medical consumables, vitamins, anti-tussives, and cardio-protective drugs. The company is loud on commitment, passion, energy, and excellence. They have 2 warehouses, 3 factories, and global reach to 25 countries.
Emzor Pharmaceuticals is located at 751, Aminu Kano Crescent Abuja, Abuja FCT.
10. Graton-forte Pharmacy and Stores
Graton-forte Pharmacy and Stores, established in March 2016 is among the best pharmaceutical companies in Abuja. The company is a subsidiary of Graton-forte Pharmaceutical Ltd and they are a start-up pharmaceutical firm currently based in Abuja, Nigeria.
They are primarily a pharmaceutical organization that provides health-related services including dispensation of high-quality NAFDAC-approved medications, sale of medical devices, equipment, cosmetic products, and lots more. They also carry our vaccinations, HIV testing, and Blood pressure monitoring.
Graton-forte Pharmacy and Stores is located at 4 M-tel Street, Wuse II 900288, Abuja, Abuja FCT.
Pharmaceutical companies in Abuja play a crucial role in improving the health standard of the people.
The presence of these pharmaceutical companies in Abuja underscores the importance of collaboration between the public and private sectors in addressing Nigeria’s healthcare challenges.
If you like our content, we know you would love our excellent content on our Youtube channel, Tiktok, Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter. Please subscribe and follow us for more Premium Know Nigeria content.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can a non-pharmacist own a pharmacy in Nigeria?
Where the premises sought to be registered is a Retail Pharmacy, Retail the company shall be wholly owned by a registered pharmacist or in partnership with other registered pharmacists.
How do pharmaceutical companies sell their products?
Drugs are manufactured at production sites. They are then transferred to wholesale distributors. The pharmaceuticals are stocked at various types of pharmacies, including retail and mail-order. Pharmacy benefit management companies negotiate prices and process drugs through quality and utilization management checks
Can you make money owning a pharmacy?
In all independent pharmacies, the average owner makes the majority of their profit by filling prescriptions. The higher the prescription volume your technicians are able to fill, the more money you’ll be able to make